Have you ever faced the problem of a lack of living space in Sacramento, CA? If you are the owner of a small house, you will surely answer "Yes" to this question. Previously, the solution could only be to buy a bigger house. However, this is associated with high costs and moving to another area, which you may want to avoid. Fortunately, it is currently possible to legally expand the living space and create an additional small house in which a bedroom with a bathroom, an office, or a guest suite can be located.
Accessory dwelling units, also known as ADU builders that are not full-fledged houses but have everything you need for a daily routine. These small rooms can be attached to your main house, which means you can expand the interior space, or the detached one, that is, small houses on the same plot. Many homeowners build ADUs on their plots for one main reason - the need to extend storage and living space.
In this article, we will tell you about all the main accessory dwelling units' features that you should know before resorting to this solution. Moreover, we will focus on prefab ADUs and their types. After reading this article, you will be able to choose the ideal option for you and find a reliable prefab company.
An ADU is an additional building that is usually necessary to create additional living space. Usually, families resort to building an ADU in order to provide a place for their guests. These may be elderly parents or family friends who come from other states for the holidays. Moreover, when planned properly, this small house can even be used as a place where you can retire to practice your hobby. In general, ADU is a universal and budget solution that has been popular in recent years. Therefore, accessory dwelling units (ADUs) are a great option for those who want to extend living and storage space.
However, it is important to choose the right kind of ADU that will be the optimal solution. In this case, several factors must be taken into account, such as the cost of materials and construction work, the time required to complete the project, the area of the room, and even energy efficiency.
If you are now thinking about what type of ADU is the most common due to its excellent characteristics and minimal cost, then we will be happy to help you find the answer. Our professional service - ADU Desing & Build helps to prepare for this complex task. A prefab unit is perhaps the most modern type of additional construction on the site. It is popular with homeowners who are too busy at work or with family matters. These houses are designed and built well in advance at factories, so you do not need to plan the work yourself.
Now that you know what prefabricated ADUs are, we can talk about their advantages. In fact, there are even more of them than it might seem at first glance. The main thing is that you turn to the right general contractor.
We suggest that you contact A+ Constuction & Remodeling, as we provide quality services at the best price:
The first and most obvious advantage of ADU is the ability to expand the living space without buying a new house and moving. For many people who live in tiny homes in urban areas, this can be fundamental.
By ordering a prefab ADU from the A+ Constuction & Remodeling company, you can not only get a high-quality functional building but also save money. The cost of this type of ADU is quite low compared to standard builds.
Building an accessory dwelling unit on a land plot is a good investment in the future. The fact is that by increasing the living and storage space, you also increase the value of your property. Even if you are not going to sell your house now, it will be an advantage in a few years.
Speaking about the advantages of prefab ADU, it is worth saying that since all parts of the house are prepared by A+ Construction & Remodeling team in advance, the site work takes much less time than with conventional construction. This way, you do not waste time and effort on the building process.
Finally, our company offers various prefab ADUs that can be used as an additional bedroom, a room for creative activities, or even an office.
Another question that worries most homeowners who are considering installing an additional building on their site is how big can their dream ADU be.
Firstly, it is worth noting that a prefab ADU can be either a studio or a home with one, two, or even three bedrooms. Therefore, you are free to choose the size that you need without too strict restrictions. It can be quite a spacious room.
Secondly, there are still several indicators that need to be remembered: no more than 16 feet in height (it is usually a one-story studio) and no less than 150 but no more than 1200 square feet.
The requirements mentioned above are relevant for California and some other states. Make sure that you discuss all existing formal requirements and their compliance with the local contractor before concluding the contract. This is an extremely important point that all reliable companies are obliged to comply with.
In general, you should know that in order to install an ADU on your site, you must obtain all the necessary permits. This is the most important thing in the whole process. The rest of the problems can be solved with the help of your contractor.
However, there are several recommendations for the site and access to it.
1. You should understand that it is convenient to install ADUs on flat ground. Therefore, ideally, your plot should not be located on a hill. You can level the plot in advance and even design the ADU taking into account the uneven ground, but of course, it will be more expensive.
2. Another wish that your contractor can voice is wide and straight streets leading to your house. Since accessory dwelling unit kits are large and are delivered to your site almost completely assembled, cargo transport simply will not be able to drive through too narrow and winding streets.
3. Even if you can get all the necessary permits, it might turn out that there are too many power lines near your site that interfere with the installation of ADU, and the local authorities will not give you a construction permit. The powerline can really pose a serious obstacle, especially if the ADU is going to be installed with a crane, so think about this in advance.
4. It is ideal when a wide driveway leads to your house. In this case, the crane may not be needed. The prefab ADU kits that were built off-site can be delivered to the site on rollers, so you can expect the installation process to be greatly simplified.
When people talk about accessory dwelling units (ADUs), they usually mean modular homes, although this is not the only possible ADU model. In this case, ADU kits are fully assembled at the factory and delivered to your land plot in almost assembled form, so transportation is perhaps one of the most difficult stages in the implementation of the project.
This ADU model is popular among homeowners due to saving money and time, but its main drawback is a very limited choice of interior design options. Usually, the contractor offers you a certain floor plan that will be implemented, and you cannot change it.
Nevertheless, you can independently choose such details as doors, flooring, roofing, and some other materials.
The second type of ADUs that you can choose is panelized houses. Unlike modular ADUs, these are not fully assembled at the factory. Only pre-prepared walls and roofs are brought to your site, so most of the work takes place on the territory of your property. Despite the longer and more tedious building process, this solution is attractive to many homeowners who want to make their ADU more personal.
By ordering a panelized ADU, you can design a floor plan and thus organize the space as you need. Moreover, you can resort to some unique built-in storage solutions that an architect of the local company or another one who you trust advises you. In general, you are only limited to a certain ADU area of a few dozen square feet, but not in interior design. Last but not least, all the utility connections, conducting electrical wires, and plumbing services are already included in the total price.
What is more, you can choose among several designs that differ in size and functionality of the room. You can order an ADU with one bedroom and a bathroom or two or three bedrooms. Some people need a garage combined with living space upstairs, and some dream of their studio or office for work. The A+ Constuction & Remodeling team is ready to fulfill all these requests and offer the perfect ADU plan.
You may wonder: How much do prefab ADU kits cost? Well, this question is a little tricky. Many a company offers to vary their prices depending on the materials used and the complexity of the installation, as well as the cost of work that a certain company exposes for its services.
You should remember that prices can fluctuate since the prices of materials are constantly changing. However, one thing always remains the same: you have a right to know what exactly is included in the total cost of an accessory dwelling unit. Any local company is obliged to provide you with detailed information about all materials, structures, fixtures, and services.
By the way, you may be surprised by this, but usually, it is the finishes that are quite expensive. It may not be the construction of a wall or roof that will cost you unexpectedly expensive, but such a trifle as a front door. So always keep an eye on the budget.
In general, prices for a studio start at $190,000 and for a one-bedroom house from about $220,000. If you want a large additional house, the price can go up to $400,000.
All accessory dwelling units can be divided into prefabricated and custom. Unlike projects that are completely designed for the request of each individual homeowner, depending on their unique request, prefab ADU is a ready-made solution that is universal for everyone.
However, companies now offer at least several different variants of the prefab ADU so that customers can choose the unit that suits their case. Thus, you do not need to look for and hire your own architect and pay them for the floor plan and design project; all this is done in advance and is already included in the cost of a prefab ADU.
Nevertheless, all the main components of a small additional house remain unchanged regardless of the type of accessory dwelling unit. Both models are energy efficient, and there will be enough space for a person to live or store their belongings. Besides that, there is always enough natural light in ADUs. Plumbing, heating, and cooling systems are also included in both prefab and custom ADUs.
Another thing that you should keep in mind is that although the prefab unit itself is usually much cheaper than a custom one, since there are only a few interior finishes and details such as awning windows and doors to choose from, you should expect the delivery to cost quite a lot. Therefore, the final price will not be much lower when compared to a custom unit.
What does the prefab ADU installation process consist of? How to start preparing for the ADU order? Let us introduce you to a few basic steps.
1. The first thing you should do is familiarize yourself with the portfolio of local contractors, as well as the current models and designs of ADU. Think about what kind of space design and floor plan you want to implement as part of your project. Planning greatly simplifies the whole process in the future.
2. The next stage is the preparation of your site for the installation of an ADU. It may be necessary to clear the area and remove trees and other buildings. It is also necessary to prepare a cement foundation. All these works can be included in the cost of the prefab ADU project, or you can carry them out yourself. The main thing is that a reliable foundation is ready for the installation of a prefabricated ADU.
3. One of the most important steps is to conduct all communications to your new ADU. For a comfortable life in this small house, you will need water, gas, and electricity. Connection to the city sewer system can also be an additional service for which you will have to pay separately.
4. The penultimate stage is transportation. Due to the fact that a prefab ADU is delivered to the site almost completely ready and assembled, delivery is quite a difficult task. You need a large truck and the availability of wide roads. By the way, sometimes, for safe transportation, it is necessary to be accompanied by a police escort, which also entails additional expenses.
5. The last thing you have to do is install a unit on your site. To transport the ADU kits from a truck to your land, you may need a crane or rollers, depending on the characteristics of your area.
Therefore, a prefab ADU is an extremely economical and profitable solution for those homeowners who have to deal with a lack of space. When turning to the A+ Constuction & Remodeling company, you can be sure that the building and transportation of prefab ADU will be completed efficiently and in a short time.
Contact us today to schedule your FREE consultation with our experts to go over your project.
We provide clear estimates that tell you exactly where your money is going.
Timeframe & Schedule
We provide an easy-to-follow schedule so you can see where your project is at and what is next, in real time.
License & Warranty
We are licensed, bonded and provide warranty on labor and materials because we believe it’s important for you to have a peace of mind.
We have a streamlined communication system that includes your own personal chat with your entire team ready to answer your questions at any time.
We are honored to be listed as a trusted contractor for ADUs by Placer County!